Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

W is for Water For Elephants

I was intrigued when I first heard about the book Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. I decided I absolutely had to read the book. I couldn't wait. I attempted to check it out at our library, but it was on hold for 16 other people before I could get my hands on it. So, I checked with friends to see if any of them had it and would let me borrow it.

Apparently, I was the only one of my friends desperate to read the book, because none of them had it (or they wouldn't tell me they did, lol). Finally, I did what I should have done in the first place, but try not to do. I went and bought the book. Why do I try not to buy books? Because this is me and, generally (although you couldn't tell it from my reading list this year!), I devour books. If I bought a book everytime I wanted to read it, we'd be living in a cardboard box somewhere because I would spend all of my salary on books.

So, I finally had access to the book. I worried it would take me some time to read because I've been really unmotivated with my reading pursuits this year - most have taken me several days, sometimes weeks to finish. That was not the case with Water for Elephants. I started the book on a Friday afternoon, read it for an hour that day and finished it Saturday morning! It was such a wonderful book! I felt really lucky to get to experience the story (something I know is strange but is often how I feel when I read a realy good book).

Moving forward, when I found out the book was going to be released as a film, I was super excited. Add in that the part of Jacob Jankowski was going to be played by Rob Pattinson and my excitement level went off the charts!

This past weekend, The Hubs and I went to the cinema to see Water for Elephants. I was worried that the movie wouldn't live up to the book. We all know that movies are never exactly like the book and they're usually not as good, so I was filled with some trepidation. I am overjoyed to say that the film, while a little different from the book, was AWESOME!! I really, really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it.

What book have you been extremely excited to read? Has it been made into a film? If so, did you see the film? Was it what you hoped for?

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I adore that book too and thought they did a great job with the movie. Now i'm all excited and can't wait to see the Help.

Cyndi said...

I loved this book too! Can't wait to see the movie.

Another book I really loved was The Help, it's currently being adapted to film, can't wait for that one either!

Donna K. Weaver said...

Glad to hear you weren't disappointed the film. That's pretty amazing.

Post a Comment

Please be sure to let me know you dropped by! I love comments and I'll definitely try to get back around to visit you :D