Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

Friday, April 22, 2011

S is for Something

No, not just any something, but, specifically, "Something" by the Beatles.

A beautiful song, written by George Harrison in 1969, "Something" featured on the Abbey Road album. The song was a double A-side with "Come Together" (for which I have another post to write at a later date). It was the first song written by Harrison to appear as an A-side track for the Beatles. The song is the second-most covered Beatles' song, second only to "Yesterday".

While Pattie Boyd (Harrison's wife at the time and later to become the wife of Eric Clapton) claimed to be the inspiration behind the song, Harrison stated in a 1996 interview that when he wrote the song, he was thinking of Ray Charles. That's an interesting way to think of Ray Charles, but whatever floated his boat!

The video of the song features scenes of the band members with their respective wives (at the time): Harrison and Boyd, John Lennon and Yoko Ono, Paul and Linda McCartney, and Ringo Starr and Maureen Cox. I find the song and video both extremely soothing, so here it is for you to enjoy as well!



While this isn't my favourite Beatles tune (that honour would have to go to either "In My Life" or "Eleanor Rigby"), it does rank high. Do you like the Beatles? If so, what's your favourite song? If not, what band do you like and what song of their's would you recommend me to hear?

6 comments:

wonder woman said...

I flippin LOVe the beatles!! They were churning out hits faster than elvis and motown combined! LOL. thanks for posting that.

Oh and i have an award for you. I figure i owed you since you help me get through my lunch hour every day with your awesome posts! Come by and pick it up!

Dannelore said...

Ooh! I love the Beatles! There's so many good ones, it's so hard to choose! It really depends on my mood I'm in...

Though the songs I find myself constantly singing (usually in the shower) are Dear Prudence and Revolution.

Kristin said...

I do like the Beatles a lot but they are not my favorites. Honestly, I can't really say I have a favorite band. It all depends on my mood as to what I want to hear.

Kakunaa said...

My musical taste runs toward singer/songwriters, heavy on classic rock and women. "In My Life" is the song my husband and I picked for the end of our wedding ceremony. My mom and 2 of my sisters sang it, an arrangement made by one of them. It is my favorite Beatles song, though I also adore Norwegian Wood. Look up George Martin's album of covered Beatle's songs...I bet you would LOVE it!

Bob Sanchez said...

Happy Easter! I'm stopping by on the A-Z Challenge.

Ruth @Welcome to me said...

Stopping by from the A-Z challenge.
Who can't love the Beatles.
Good blog.

Post a Comment

Please be sure to let me know you dropped by! I love comments and I'll definitely try to get back around to visit you :D